Tuesday, April 30, 2013

order up > crunchy smashed potatoes

I thought I'd document another followed recipe tonight.  Another category, like grilled cheese, that never seems to turn out for me. Whatever I do, they never taste 'great!'.  So I grabbed the camera and followed The Pioneer Woman's recipe for her Crash Hot Potatoes.  This looked easy enough for me to not fail at.  

See her recipe on the link above.  What I did basically:

 1) Boil some water - add the potatoes - cooked until tender

 2) Place on oiled up tray (my tray isn't very pretty for photos)...

3) Mash with potato masher (this was weird, mine did not mash as clean and pretty as the Pioneer Woman)

 4) Photos not shown of the potatoes sliding all over breaking apart - I fit them back like a puzzle for sake of the photos.

 5) Pop 'em in the oven at 450 for 25 minutes (oil, salt, and thyme added)

 6) hmmmm... mine don't look as savory as hers - this is when I began to doubt myself (out came the butter, sour cream, and more salt)

 7) To my surprise...!!!... They were even more delicious than I could have ever imagined! No need for my backup plan of butter & sour cream garnished with potato! We had the potatoes with teriyaki chicken and pineapple.  Yummmmmy!!!!

Lucy got some for herself too!

So maybe they don't look identical to the pictures on the blog, maybe they don't come clean off the pan in a nice patty (mine sure didn't), but maybe they end up just as good! Maybe I'm getting better at this cooking thing that I really don't enjoy.  It sure makes it more fun when I document - just wait, there will be failures... but in the mean time - try this one out - it's De-Lish!

2 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to try this recipe, and will definitely try it after the Easter holiday. Looks delish to me. I'm sure your Dad will need to add half a stick of butter no matter what!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The oil below and above really surprised me - I normally use half a stick for one red potato - I couldn't believe I didn't need any butter at all!

    ReplyDelete