Monday, October 28, 2013

let's do this > felt bat costume for lucy

My first costume made by Me.  Since Halloween is this week, and some of you may need a last minute costume...this was very easy, and can be made for any age or size!  I'm very happy with the way it turned out. 
The How To Shirt:

Get a black shirt - turtleneck, hoodie, or any longsleeve

Put over a sheet of felt and trace the under arm along the seam with a white pencil

I eyed out a bat silhouette, cut, flipped over and made a second for the opposite side 

Here are the two pieces before I pinned directly to the outsie of shirt seam

I sewed right to the shirt with a little worry it would look funny not being actually sewn in directly

But it turned out looking just fine

The Mask:

I hand sketched this out.  Adjustments were made for her eyes to see through

Pin to black felt, cut and lay over orange felt to do all over again

All cut, now hand sew or put through machine. 

 I put through machine, but I think a hand stitch would look pretty cool

 Felt is so awesome to work with!

Now we need to put some elastic on.  I thought I could needle it through, but the string wouldn't fit through the dang needle hole! Instead I just poked a hole in the felt with the needle and stretched it around to make a bigger hole.  Did I tell you how much I like Felt?!!  Then I hand fed the string and tied a nice knot

For measurements I used a headband that currently fits Lucy well

...and the Final Product!

I added an extra bat on the shirt with the same method.  It needed a little something.
I did use a couple of sites for reference.  Click here for bat sleeves, and here for mask.

Stay tuned for Lucy in costume! We can't wait to go Trick-or-Treating with her for the first time!

No comments:

Post a Comment